Dr. Pam O'Neal
Dr. Pam O'Neal is an Associate Professor at University of Alabama in Huntsville. She teaches in the online DNP program.
- PhD – Virginia Commonwealth University, 2000
- MSN in Adult Health Clinical Nurse Specialist – University Tennessee in Memphis, 1994
- BSN – Union University, 1991
- BS in Psychology – Union University, 1991
- AS in Nursing – Union University, 1988
- Critical care – Pulmonary and Cardiac
- Nursing administration
- Outpatient Day Surgery
- Mechanically ventilated patients across the lifespan
- Oral suctioning processes – mechanical and manual suctioning
- Microbiomes analysis
- Biotechnology and healthcare interfaces
Awards and Recognitions:
- 2014-2015 – Elected Mace Bearer for the University
- 2015 – Outstanding Faculty in the College of Nursing
- 2012 – Lamplighter Award, Alabama State Nursing Association
- 2017 – O'Neal, P.V., Talley, B., Alexander, S., & Adams, E. (2017). Informatics and Public Health In Applied Clinical Informatics in Nursing 2nd Edition Burlington, MA: Jones and Bartlett Learning. In press.
- 2017 – O'Neal, P. (2017). Being an informed consumer of healthcare in Brain Waves (pp.136-138). University of Alabama in Huntsville.
Refereed Journal Articles:
- 2018 – O'Neal, P.V., Bianchi, A., & Adams, E.A. (2018). PRO leader model: A transformative approach to influence change. Nursing Management. In press. lwwesubmissions-D-17-00469 DOI: 10.1097/01.NUMA.0000529930.04494.fc
- 2017 – Graves, B. A., O'Neal, P.V., Roussel, L., & Polancich, S. (2017). EBP Design and translation: Teaching how to begin a scholarly practice project. Worldviews on Evidence-based Nursing,0(0),1-3. DOI: 10.1111/wvn.12270
- 2017 – Polancich, S., Roussel, L., Graves, B. A., & O'Neal, P.V. (2017). A regional consortium for doctor of nursing practice education: Integrating improvement science into the curriculum. Journal of Professional Nursing. DOI: 10.1016/j.profnurs.2017.07.013
- 2017 – ONeal, P.V., Adams, E.D., Hanson, L., Damron, N.E., Alexander M., Zhang, J., Leahy, J. (2017). Microbial profile and characterization of blue bulb manual suction devices used to promote airway clearance in newborns in intrapartum and postpartum units. American Journal of Infection Control, 25(12), 1378-1381. DOI: 10.1016/j.ajic.2017.06.023
- 2017 – Ng, Y.C., O'Neal, P.V., Frith, K., Riley, L. (2017). Safety and quality concern of in-home suction equipment failure over time. Journal of Clinical Engineering, 42(2), 80-84. DOI: 10.1097/JCE.0000000000000207. Featured article.
- 2016 – O'Neal, P.V., Jaronsinki, J., & McClellan, L., (2016). A new model in teaching undergraduate research: A collaborative approach and learning cooperatives. Nurse Education and Practice, 18, 80-84. DOI: 10.1016/j.nepr.2016.03.008
- 2014 – O'Neal P.V., Grap M.J., Munro, C.M, & Sessler, C. (2014) Subglottic secretion volume and viscosity: Effect of systemic volume and oral hydration. Dynamics: The Official Journal of the Canadian Association of Critical Care Nurses, 25(1), 19-25.
- 2014 – O'Neal P.V., & Frith K. (2014). Promoting quality patient care by establishing a healthy work environment. Intensive Care Nursing Review, 1, 66-67.
- 2007 – O'Neal P.V., Munro C., Grap M.J., Rausch S. (2007). Subglottic secretion viscosity and evacuation efficiency. Biological Research for Nursing, 8, (3), 202-209.
Internal Contracts and Grants:
- 2016-2017 – O'Neal, P.V. (PI) and Patel, Rakesh (co-PI) microbiologist from UAB UA System Collaborative Research grant. A Collaborative Between UAH Nursing and UAB Pathology Faculty. Salivary Microbiomes, Nitric Oxide, and Systemic Effects. $5000.00.
- 2015-2016 – O'Neal, Pam. V. (PI) and Norris, Casey (co-PI). Industry/University Cooperative Graduate Student Research Program Grant with Huntsville Hospital: O'Neal, Pam. V. (PI) and Norris, Casey (co-PI). UAH College of Nursing Partnering with Huntsville Hospital for Women and Children to Identify Newborn Airway Clearance Practices by Nurses and Parents. $12,174.00.
- 2015-2016 – Leahy, J. and O'Neal, P.V. (co-PI). Cross College Grant Research Grant. A Collaborative Microbiology and Nursing Approach to Promote Safety in Neonatal Suctioning Practices. $5000.00.
- 2015 – O'Neal, P.V. (PI) and Stillwell, Rebecca. Research Creative Undergraduate Experience. Parents' Perspectives: Knowledge and Use of Blue Bulb Suction Device. $3200.00
- 2015 – O'Neal, P.V. (PI) and Hanson, Linda. Research Creative Undergraduate Experience. Interdisciplinary Research with Nursing and Biology: Identification of Effective Disinfectants on Microbial Growth. $3200.00.
- 2014-2015 – O'Neal, P.V. (PI) and Jablonski, R. (co-PI).UA System Collaborative Research grant. A Collaborative Between UAH and UAB Nursing Faculty Reducing the Incidence of Pneumonia in Persons with Dysphagia by Developing Safe Oral Hygiene Practices. $5000.00
- 2014-2015 – O'Neal, P.V. (PI), Leahy, J. (co-PI- microbiologist), and MacGregor, G. (co-PI). Cross College Faculty Research Grant. Collaborative to Promote Quality and Safety in Neonatal Suctioning: Bringing Nursing and Biology to the Bench. $5000.00.
- 2014-2015 – Waddell, Manuel (PI) and O'Neal, P.V. (Co-PI). Cross College Faculty Research grant: Fabrication of a Viscometer. $5000.00.
- 2014 – O'Neal, P.V. (PI) and Damron, N.E. Research Creative Undergraduate Experience: Microbiology Assessment of Suction Devices. $3000.00.
- 2013 – O'Neal, P.V. (PI), Adams, E. (co-PI), Landrum, D. (co-PI), Price, J. (co-PI), and Wilhite, A. (co-PI). Cross College Faculty Research Grant. A Collaborative to Advance Healthcare through Policy, Practice, and Leading Edge Technology Development in the U.S. and Abroad. $5000.00
External Contracts and Grants:
- 2016-2017 – Adams, E. (PI) and O'Neal, P.V. (co-PI). Hill-Rom, Celeste Phillips Family-Centered Maternity Care Award. Suctioning at birth: A feasibility study of the use of the blue bulb syringe. $10,000.
- 2015 – O'Neal, P.V. (PI). Sigma Theta Tau Beta Phi Chapter. $1,017 -PI –Scholarly Dissemination of Undergraduate and Doctoral Students.
- 2014 – Bailey, E. (PI) and O'Neal, P.V. (co-PI). Sigma Theta Tau Beta Phi Chapter. $300. A Study of Critically Ill Patients: Acute Inpatient Delirium.
- 1999-2000 – O'Neal, P.V. (PI). Individual Nursing Research Award from NIH for a total of $25,305.00 for 2 years entitled "Subglottic Secretion Accumulation and Positioning." 1 F31 NRO 7491-01.
- 1997-1998 – O'Neal, P.V. (PI). Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing, Emory University, Internal Grant Award, $1,700.00 entitled "Risk Factors of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia."
- 1996 – O'Neal, P.V. (PI). American Association of Critical Care Nurses-Atlanta Chapter for $500.00 entitled "Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia Risk Factors."